What is Rheumatoid Arthritis? A Comprehensive Guide to Symptoms and Treatments

2) Joint inflammation


Swelling of the joint happens as a secondary finding in rheumatoid arthritis. In most cases, patients start feeling joint pain first, and it comes with weakness and malaise. But when the disease is a bit advanced in a later stage, swelling and inflammation ensue, and the affected joints may look reddened and increased in size.

Inflammation is the cause of rheumatoid arthritis, and it triggers deformity of the articulation, as we will point out below. This feature is present from day one but is only physically apparent later in 90% of cases. The remaining 10% experience joint pain and visible inflammation with an abrupt onset at the moment of the diagnosis.